mardi 8 mai 2012

Slime & Snails & Onion Tails?!

Here I was working at a bakery, when I wanted to try something different...

I like trying out this and that, see what it's like. I knew I wanted to be more sustainable, and do something with the earth. Nature is just incredible and since summer is coming, why not work outside?

That's when I found the perfect opportunity : a six month internship at an organic farm called Luxy.

This is where Jonny & Daizy (with Django and Marie-Lou, the cats) come in. Just a boy and a girl who bought a farm and jumped right in. They're doing pretty awesome, and they are pretty awesome too!

What we'll be doing is planting veggies, weeding and harvesting for CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and the farmers market on fridays in Orleans. And listen to a lot of music. And eat lots of great food (thanks Daizy!)

During my first week, we seeded beets, peas, carrots, spinach, arugula, zucchini, summer squash, winter squash, lettuce, watermelons, melons, cabbage, onions, radishes, pumpkins, bok choy and celery. We have a lot on our plate, but it's nice to see it growing and how everything looks (especially when it's on the kitchen table).

Onions in the greenhouse

Now that it's been raining and the soil was nice and wet, we have transplanted the broccolis, cauliflowers, kales, kohlrabis, bok choy, cabbages, lettuces, fennel and swiss chard.

 the field with some nice veggies (my rows are so not right!!)

what we've done so far in the field

Today was supposed to be onion transplanting day, but it was way too muddy from the overnight rain. I do have to say, it's like being a kid in a giant sandbox out there; without your mom nagging about being dirty! Instead we seeded some more and did some weeding in the greenhouse. All the while discovering some bugs and slimy slugs! (and snacking on some radishes and lettuce mmmh).  

So here's to another great day that went by faster than ever! 

I'll make sure to put lots of pictures of our progress this season. 

Later days, and make sure to eat all your veggies. I know I'll be eating mine, and that's not including drinking a litre of V8...

Bean Sauce. 




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire