dimanche 13 mai 2012

Onions Make You Cry

This week was all about onions.

It was transplanting time!! Now, onions are so nice and big when you get them at the store. But at first they are these tiny little things that look like chives with long wiry roots that you have to be careful not to touch, or they could die. From the greenhouse to the field, it's quite a journey. Two hundred feet of them three to four inches apart in four rows. That is a lot of onions. Thousands of them in fact. 

Thousand of onions!

It took Jonny, Daizy and I three days to do those 5 beds. On saturday Jonny and me set up the irrigation system, now they are happy as can be with water, wind and sun. 

Happy onions

In the greenhouse everything is looking good and green. I potted up some flowers (sunflowers and zinnias are the ones I remember) and they now have more room to grow. We weeded the lettuces and thinned out the radishes. The latter growing rather quickly, I actually had one today and it was delicious!

Mesclun in the greenhouse; weed free!

Today was a gorgeous day. I wandered around the farm getting some sun and scratches from the thorns of raspberry bushes that will cease to exist soon enough now that I know their whereabouts. Also found some strawberry patches here and there, blooming with pretty white flowers. 

I now leave you with some pictures taken throughout the week. Thanks for reading! 

Bean Sauce


The garden on a sunny afternoon looking gorgeous

Django the friendly cat

Marilou the sock hunter

Woods behind the farm

Hundreds of wild trilliums in the woods! 

Violas amongst the dandies

1 commentaire:

  1. Beautiful Bean Sauce! I love the pictures and captions, especially "Marilou the sock hunter" - fabulous!

    RépondreSupprimer